This is a brilliant way to transport leftover rice into a garlicky flavoured meal and yet every cook seems to have their own way of making it to their perfection. The one thing is that we know that there is not a one-size-fit-all method for this rice dish. I think you will agree.
Like a simple Italian paste, this Fried Rice Dish with Garlic consists out of just a few basic ingredients. Using a different fat, getting the garlic more or less brown or using different rice and adding other seasonings are all ways to make it your own recipe. Like most dishes, the trick to making a delicious Fried Rice Dish is all in the ingredients and technique.
These Healthy Tips Can Help You
When you fried Garlic until crisp, then it triggers both caramelisation and the mallard reaction. The oil get infuses with tons on garlic flavour which then gets absorbed by the rice. Also it creates a new flavour compounds which make your fried rice dish taste even better, despite of the other ingredients.
Using Day-Old Rice allows the starches in the rice to retrograde. What I mean by this is that the starches return their original structure, which make the rice firm and dry. This makes it a lot easier to coat each grain of rice with the garlic flavour oil without mashing up the grains of rice. The finished fried rice, nice and fluffy.
Garnish the crisped garlic as a crispy topping that adds a wonderful textural element to the Fried Rice Dish.
What Fat You Can Use
You can use vegetable oil, coconut oil or olive oil. My fried rice dish must garlicky, full of goodness to permeate each rice grain, but I do not want it greasy or heavy. Butter and healthy saturated fats, like coconut oil, impart more flavour to your dish also make the rice heavier than I wanted. That is why I prefer to use olive oil. It absorbs and redistributes the garlic flavour while lending a clean richness to the rice.
What Seasonings Can You Use?
I like to keep it simple. Not everyone can use spices or paprika or any other seasonings because of health issues. Remember you can add or replace any ingredients to fit your taste. I add just a bit of salt to bring forth the umami from the caramelised garlic and a bit of cayenne pepper and freshly cut herbs out of my garden.
Most of the time you should seasoning your rice before you prepare the dish to allow the flavours to absorb during cooking process.
Do you have to boil your rice before frying
There are different ways you can look at
- When using uncooked rice, the rice should be rinsed and soaked before cooking. You must drain it well and fried for several minutes with a small amount of water and oil
- You can steam your rice
- Boiling rice
- Microwaving rice
- Rice cooker
What type of Rice is the best and healthiest to use
There are over 40.000 varieties of cultivated rice to choose from.
White rice is the most commonly consumed type, but brown rice is Higher in Fibre, Vitamins and Minerals.
What you have in you kitchen cupboard is what you use. So easy.Mariana Botha
What is so amazing about this Fried Rice dish with Garlic recipe is that you can adjust to your taste
- Low carb
- Gluten Free
- Sugar Free
- 4 Tsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger/ dried ginger
- 6-7 Garlic cloves (mashed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups leftover cooked rice
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 tsp spring onion (chopped)
- 2 tsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 3 eggs (scrambled)
- In a small glass dish add the minced garlic, olive oil and lemon juice, stir to combine. Set aside to allow the flavours to mingle.
- This dish comes together so fast that everything needs to be chopped, measured and ready to add
- Chop the onion, basil, spring onion, ham or chicken. Grate the carrots and place in a glass bowl. Put all the dry ingredients together in a separate small glass bowl. Finally, beat the eggs in a small bowl
- Bring garlic mixture to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain an active simmer, stirring occasionally until garlic are golden brown. Remove solids from oil with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a large glass bowl. Discard all dry ingredients and chopped onion. Add to remaining oil and return saucepan to medium heat until onions are golden brown. Transfer the onions to the same bowl. The remaining oil should be enough to fry the carrots until cooked, and a soft golden-brown look. Add the chopped Basil and removed solids from the oil and placed in the same bowl. Lastly, place your saucepan on medium heat and pour the mixed eggs and cook until mostly set. Stir to loosen the egg in the saucepan
- Add 1 tsp more olive oil in the saucepan to prevent the rice to stay light. Place the saucepan back on the medium heat. Add all the rice into the saucepan, without disturbing, until rice is crackling and has formed a crisp layer against bottom of the saucepan, about 2 minutes. Toss, breaking up any clumps with a spoon, and continue to cook until rice is hot and crispy-chewy
- Add all the rest back into the saucepan and toss to combine, season with soy sauce
- Transfer Fried Rice Dish to a platter
- Top with spring onion